How to SORN your Car

Aug 25, 2020

How to SORN your Car

We are all using our cars a lot less now due to the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic and this has left many people wondering if they need to declare their cars off-road. So, do you need to get a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) for your car?

What is a SORN?

A Statutory Off-Road Notification, otherwise known as SCORN, let’s you declare your car off-road and means it can’t be driven. It doesn’t cost anything to get a SCORN and it can last as long as you want it to. You won’t need to tax, insure or MOT your vehicle while it is not being driven. However, a car with a SCORN cannot be on any public road and you will face a £2500 fine otherwise.

Should I declare my car off-road if i’m not using it?

It is up to you whether or not you SORN your car. Many of us are still not using our cars as much as we once were due to coronavirus, but if you know that you’re definitely not going to be using it for a while and stop paying tax and insurance, then yes you need to SORN your car. If you don’t have a SORN, and your vehicle isn’t taxed or doesn’t have insurance, you will automatically be fined.

Why should I SORN my car?

Given the current circumstances and the impact it has had on our lives and jobs, many of us have our vehicles parked up. Due to all these changes and the way we’re now living our lives, you may find yourself considering declaring your vehicle off road. Other reasons why you may consider this action:

You have a vintage car that is only used in summer

● Your car is ready to be scrapped

● You have bought a car, but it needs work done as it’s not roadworthy

● Your insurance or tax has lapsed and you haven’t renewed it

● You have lost your job to the COVID pandemic and no longer need to commute

How to declare your car off the road

If you are the registered owner of the vehicle, you can go online and file a SORN for free. Before you get started, you need to have information from your logbook ready or the reminder letter for vehicle tax.

If you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle, you can only apply for a SORN by post using the V890 form. You can also call the DVLA. Once the SORN is in place, you do not need to renew it, and it will stay in place until you tax or sell the vehicle. SORNs are non-transferable. is the easiest and quickest way to get quotes from garages and mechanics in your local area, saving you both time and money. Get your quote today!

Share this post

Car Service

Car Service

Need a basic, interim or full service? Compare quotes.

Get Quotes